At the Busby’s Family Karate Schools, we are sending out a clear message to our community’s as to why everyone should learn Martial Arts.
I believe that everyone should learn Martial Arts and I know you as our members do as well. the benefits of training in martial arts go way beyond self-defense. It can help in nearly every aspect of one’s life. Improved health and fitness, athletic enhancement, increased confidence, better concentration and better behavior just to name a few.
Many experts agree that in this day and age of escalating obesity, increased violence and deteriorating family structure, if you do nothing else, you should learn martial arts’
What follows are 7 reasons why this is true.
- SELF DEFENSE: “Practice the fight so that you don’t have to” is a phrase that is often used to describe the self-defense benefits of martial arts training. It refers to the fact that as people become more confident in their ability to defend themselves through martial arts training, the need to defend themselves automatically decreases. this is because they unconsciously begin to carry themselves in a more confident manner. that confidence is projected to those around them, making them less vulnerable to being selected by a predator. On top of that, martial arts training includes strategic self-defense as well as actual self-defense. Students are taught how to recognize a potentially dangerous situation and how to avoid confrontations.
- ATHLETIC ENHANCEMENT: There is a reason why so many professional teams in virtually every major sport supplement their training with martial arts. Martial arts training offers several advantages. First, it is amazingly effective in enhancing general coordination because it uses every part of the body in a balanced way. Upper body, lower body, right side, left side, forward movement, lateral movement, rotational movement…it’s all include in martial arts training.
- FITNESS: The three pieces of the fitness puzzle are strength, flexibility and endurance. Martial arts training demands a balance between the three. Therefor, a person who trains in martial arts will find that their deficiencies improve quickly. Also, because of the balance in the three pieces of the fitness puzzle, they are less likely to injure themselves while participating in other athletic endeavors.
- HEALTH: There is a proven link between martial arts and better health for people of all ages. The reasons for this are as follows. First, it is great exercise and, unlike more boring and repetitive workouts, people enjoy the process of training in martial arts. Also, most martial arts programs include discussions of diet and lifestyle changes, so long term training develops healthy habits that can stick with people for life.
- CONCENTRATION: Very few activities engage the mind, body and spirit more than martial arts. Because of this, a person’s ability to concentrate is greatly enhanced by their martial arts training and this concentration tends to be easily transferable to other activities.
- RESPECT AND COURTESY: Recognizing that martial arts teaches techniques that could be harmful to others if applied, martial arts instructors are obliged to stress the importance of respect, courtesy, and restraint. People who are skilled in martial arts tend to be extremely respectful, considerate and composed.
- CONFIDENCE: Martial arts taught correctly, leads to increased confidence for a couple of specific reasons. First, there are no bench sitters. Everyone participates. and rather than comparing one student to another, students are judged against their own potential. Secondly, the structure of martial arts is built on the concept of setting people up for success by giving them a series of realistic, short term goals that they can attain quickly while keeping them focused on an exciting, long term goal. Each time they experience success, their confidence improves until they believe that, with hard work and dedication, they can accomplish just about anything.
To put it simply, there is no other activity that combines all this positive attributes as well as martial arts / Karate training. The benefits are profound. It is up to all of us to do a better fob conveying this message within our communities.
“This is a piece sent to me by Dave Kovar & the Kovar Systems on the benefits of training in the martial arts, and wish to give him full credit.”
Click on the Photo below to view this weeks video mat chat lesson on Goals.
California Gold Rush Story
There’s a California gold rush story that tells of two brothers who sold all they had and went prospecting for gold. They discovered a vein of the shining ore, staked a claim, and proceeded to get down to the serious business of getting the gold ore of the mine.
All went well at first, but then a strange thing happened. The vein of gold disappeared! They had come to the end of the rainbow, and the pot of gold was no longer there. The brothers continued to pick away, but without success. Finally, they gave up in disgust.
They sold their equipment and claim rights for a few hundred dollars, and took the train back home. Now the man who bought the claim hired an engineer to examine the rock strata of the mine. The engineer advised him to continue digging in the same spot where the former owners had left off. And three feet deeper, the new owner struck gold.
A little more persistence and the two brothers would have been millionaires themselves. There is gold in you, too. Do you need to dig three feet farther?
Click on Photo below to view this weeks video mat chat lesson.
How High Can You Jump
You train fleas by putting them in a jar with a top on it. Fleas jump, so they will jump up and hit the top over and over again. As you watch them jump and hit the top, you will notice something interesting. The fleas continue to jump, but they are no longer jumping high enough to hit the top.
Then, and it’s a matter of record, you can take the top off and though the fleas continue to jump, they won’t jump out of the jar. I repeat, they won’t jump out because they can’t. The reason is simple. They have conditioned themselves to jump just so high. Once they have conditioned themselves to jump just so high, that’s all they can do.
Many times, people do the same thing. They restrict themselves and never reach their potential. Just like the fleas, they fail to jump higher, thinking they are doing all they can do.
Click on the Photo below to view this weeks video mat chat lesson
Take Control Of My Life
How to take control of my life? Perhaps a parable will help you see my point.
High on a hilltop overlooking the beautiful city of Venice, Italy, there lived an old man who was a genius. Legend had it he could answer any question anyone might ask of him. Two of the local boys figured they could fool the old man, so they caught a small bird and headed for his residence.
One of the boys held the little bird in his hands and asked the old man if the bird was dead or alive. Without hesitation the old man said, ” Son, if I say to you that the bird is alive, you will close your hands and crush him to death. If I say the bird is dead, you will open your hands and he will fly away. You see, son, in your hands you hold the power of life and death.”
In your hands you hold the seeds of failure or the potential for greatness. Your hands are capable but they must be used – and for the right things – to reap the rewards you are capable of attaining.
The Poplarville Christmas Parade will be Friday December 2, 2016.
The parade will leave the Poplarville High School at 5:00pm.
Students riding should be at the Poplarville High School no later than 4:15.
You are welcome to throw candy, beads and such, however you should bring your own throws.
We hope that everyone enjoys the evening
Click the following Link to view this weeks Lesson on Honesty.
Make sure to bring in your completed worksheet to receive your wristband.